September is National Gum Health Month!
What’s so great about your gums and gum health?
- Your gums help to stabilize your teeth for a lifetime of a healthy smile! Without proper gum health one may develop periodontitis, an infection in the gum tissue that can lead to loss of permanent teeth and further overall health issues. Scary! So, we have some easy ways to help prevent gum disease and promote gum health!
Gum Disease: Gum disease starts when plaque (a sticky film that’s filled with bacteria) begins to stick along and under the gum line. The toxins begin to breakdown the gum tissue pulling away from the teeth creating pockets for the bacteria to harbor.
Signs & Symptoms:
- Inflamed Gum Tissue
- Bad tasting or smelling breath
- Loose permanent teeth
Ways to Prevent:
- Proper Brushing
- 2 x Daily for 2-3 minutes a day
- Circular motion on all surfaces of the teeth (cheek side, tongue side, chewing surface)
- Electric toothbrush can be very helpful!
- Floss Daily
- Or we love our Water Piks!
- Catch areas between your teeth where food can get stuck!
- Regular Dental Cleanings and Exams
- Remove the plaque & tartar from hard to reach places- under the gum line & between teeth.
- Eliminate Smoking
- Leads to gum disease & oral cancer
- Healthy Diet
- Decreasing sugary/ starchy food and drink that increase plaque in the mouth.